Powered Industrial Truck Safety Overview
- Recognize the types of PITs most commonly used in industry and their purpose in the workplace.
- Identify the requirements for pre-operational inspections.
- Identify safe practices to follow when operating, loading, and parking a PIT.
- Identify workplace, vehicle-based, and operator-influenced conditions that may contribute to PIT-related accidents.
- Recognize the key components of a comprehensive safety training program.
This lesson focuses on safety-related issues that are relevant to the operation of Powered Industrial Trucks (PITs). Although there are a wide variety of PIT types, many of them share the same operating principles. This lesson does not address the uniqueness of each type of PIT in use today, but rather focuses on the hazards and safe operating practices shared by many of them. This training is designed for operators, supervisors, and employees working in general industry where PITs are used and enables drivers to identify safe and unsafe operating behaviors and hazardous conditions in order to minimize the risk of accidents. This lesson provides general awareness information and is not intended to deliver authorized, qualified, or competent person training. All operators should consult their specific PIT operation manual before use.