- Explain the initial responder’s responsibilities, and identify the legal and ethical issues related to acting as an initial responder.
- Describe how to initially assess and respond appropriately to a medical emergency situation.
- Explain the procedures to follow when responding to a conscious or unconscious victim.
- Explain when it is and is not appropriate to move an injured or ill person and how to appropriately position them while waiting for EMS to arrive.
- Recognize the symptoms of shock and explain how to respond to persons suffering from shock.
After completing this lesson, learners will be able to explain the initial responder’s responsibilities, identify the legal and ethical issues related to acting as an initial responder, and explain when it is appropriate to move injured patients and how it should be done.
- 26 Minutes
- Assess and Respond
- While Waiting for EMS
- Top 5 First Aid Tricks Everyone Should Know, Part-3 Recovery Position, Today I Found Out, Feed Your Brain, February, 2013
- Harvard Health Publications, Harvard Medical School, Emergencies and First Aid Recovery Position, Adult Recovery Position, September, 2005
- About Health, Before You Save a Life: Understanding Medical Consent, April, 2015
- Mayo Clinic, Patient Care &amp; Health Info, First Aid, September, 2014