Inspection and Maintenance
- Describe how to complete pre-operation and operational forklift inspections.
- List and describe the types of forklift maintenance.
- Explain how to refuel a diesel or liquid petroleum gas (LPG) forklift.
- Explain how to recharge a battery-operated forklift.
This lesson is the fifth lesson in a five-lesson curriculum designed to provide workers with an awareness of the federal safety regulations for operating a forklift. The curriculum serves as the formal-instruction component of forklift operator training, and generally precedes hands-on operator training and site-specific training. The regulations for operating a forklift are outlined in 29 CFR 1910. This lesson will present basic information on how to inspect and maintain a forklift, including information on how to refuel an internal combustion engine forklift and how to recharge an electric forklift.
- Training Type: Interactive
- 20 Minutes
- Code of Federal Regulations, 29 CFR 1910
- Powered Industrial Trucks eTool, Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Electric vs. Diesel or LPG / What Power Should I Choose for My Forklift?, Bendigo Mitchell, 2017
- Forklift Battery Changing Station Safety, Grainger, Safety Quick Tips, September 2015
- Forklift Trucks - Safe Handling of Propane (LPG) Fuel, Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety, June 7, 2013
- When Should a Forklift Have Preventive Maintenance Done?, Warehouse Distribution Knowledge IQ, May 26, 2012