Liquid Nitrogen Safety
- Define liquid nitrogen and give examples of how it is used in a laboratory environment
- Describe some hazards associated with liquid nitrogen
- Describe safe handling procedures for using and transporting liquid nitrogen
- Identify the types of liquid nitrogen containers and their components
- Identify potential issues involving liquid nitrogen containers and recall recommended troubleshooting procedures
- Recall the actions to take in case of a spill or health emergency involving liquid nitrogen
This lesson will provide you with awareness training for the hazards associated with liquid nitrogen and provide best practices for using, moving, and storing liquid nitrogen dewars in laboratory and makerspace environments.
- 20 Minutes
- English, Spanish
- What Is Liquid Nitrogen?
- Safe Handling of Liquid Nitrogen
- Liquid Nitrogen Containers
- Handling Emergencies
- Mumford, C. J., and P. A. Carson. Hazardous Chemicals Handbook (Second Edition). Butterworth-Heinemann, 2002.
- “Liquid Nitrogen Safety.” Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth, engineering.dartmouth.edu/microeng/ln2.html
- “Safe Handling and Use of Liquid Nitrogen.” U.S. Department of Agriculture, www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/80000000/SafetyHealthandEnvironmentalTraining/LiquidNitrogen-Geneva.ppt
- “Nitrogen (Liquified).” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, July 1, 2014, www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1199.html.