Crane Safety: Mobile Cranes
- Describe the types of cranes commonly found on construction sites and how to select the right one for the job.
- Describe the most common causes of crane accidents.
- Outline the knowledge every operator should have before operating their specific crane, as well as the site-specific questions they should ask before using a crane at a particular location.
- Distinguish between a “competent” and “qualified” individual and describe how their classification impacts their role during assembly and inspection of a crane.
- Describe the different types of required crane inspections, which parts of the crane you should check during a pre-operation inspection, and what action you should take if something does not meet inspection standards.
- List the important questions you should answer before lifting a load.
- Explain how to use a load chart, how to use outriggers, and when moveable floats are required.
- Describe how movement of a crane’s upperworks or boom can affect lifting capacity and stability.
- List the load-lifting practices an operator must follow to maximize safety while on the job.
- Identify the approved hand signals for communicating with a crane operator.
- Describe safe practices for operating a crane in specific environments, including those near energized power lines or involving enclosed spaces.
- Explain how to operate a crane to prevent load swings and how to work safely in and around a crane.
This lesson covers various concepts related to the safe operation of mobile cranes. It provides an introduction to cranes, including the various types used in the construction industry, how to select the right one for the job and important safety information regarding common crane violations, causes of accidents and operator responsibilities. Additionally, it covers pre-operation setup and inspection and planning for a safe lift.
- 34 minutes
- Pre-Operation Setup and Inspection
- Planning a Safe Lift
- Safe Work Practices
- 29 CFR 1910 Subpart N - Materials Handling and Storage - 1910.180 Crawler locomotive and truck cranes
- 29 CFR 1926 Subpart N - Helicopters, Hoists, Elevators, and Conveyors - 1926.552 Material hoists, personnel hoists, and elevators
- 29 CFR 1926 Subpart V - Electric Power Transmission and Distribution - 1926.958(b)(1)(i) Materials handling and storage
- 29 CFR 1926 Subpart V - Electric Power Transmission and Distribution - 1926.958(b)(1)(ii) Materials handling and storage