Biological Hazards and Controls
- Define a pathogen, and identify the types of biological hazards, and the factors that contribute to foodborne disease outbreaks.
- Identify the sources of foodborne pathogens, how they are transmitted, and the typical foodborne diseases they cause.
- Identify the potential control measures to reduce, eliminate, or prevent the growth of the most common foodborne pathogens.
- 15 minutes
- Foodborne Illness Outbreaks
- Pathogen Controls
- HACCP: A Systematic Approach to Food Safety.
- Rules of HACCP – A Compilation of HACCP-Related-Regulations in the United States
- 21 CFR 123 (FDA) Fish and Fishery Products
- 21 CFR 120 (FDA) Juice Products
- 9 CFR 417 (USDA/FSIS) Meat and Poultry Products
- 21 CFR 110 (FDA) Good Manufacturing Practice in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Human Food
- CDC. Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks -United States, 2006. MMWR 2009;58;609-5; Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks -United States, 2006. MMWR 2010;5;973-9