DOT Identifying Hazardous Materials
- Explain why it is important to accurately identify a hazardous material that will be shipped in commerce.
- Describe how to use the Hazardous Materials Table and its appendices to identify a hazardous material.
- Explain how to use the Hazardous Materials List, Precedence of Hazard List, and Precedence of Hazard Table to determine which hazard classification takes precedence when a material contains more than one hazard.
This is Lesson 2 of a five-lesson hazardous materials transportation awareness curriculum. The purpose of the lesson is to provide individuals who are involved with the transportation of hazardous materials with an awareness of the hazard identification process and the reference tools that are available to assist with that process. This awareness-level course has been prepared to meet the intent of the Federal DOT hazardous material regulations, Title 49 CFR, Parts 172 through 173.
- 28 minutes
- Format: Online Interactive
- Identifying a Hazardous Material
- Identifying a Hazardous Materials Mixture
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Subtitle B, Chapter I, Subchapter C, Part 172, Subpart B, Table of Hazardous Materials Table and Special Provisions
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Subtitle B, Chapter I, Subchapter C, Part 173, Subpart A, 173.2a, Classification of a Material Having More than One Hazard