Forklift - Load Handling
- List the main challenges involved with load handling.
- Evaluate a load to determine the types of challenges it might present.
- Explain how to handle a load under ordinary circumstances.
- Describe how to deal with common environmental challenges when handling a load.
This lesson is the third lesson in a five-lesson curriculum designed to provide workers with an awareness of the federal safety regulations for operating a forklift. The curriculum serves as the formal instruction component of forklift operator training, and generally precedes hands-on operator training and site-specific training. The regulations for operating a forklift are outlined in 29 CFR 1910. This lesson will present general information on load handling challenges as well as procedures for how to evaluate, pick up, travel with, and set down a load. The lesson will also describe methods for dealing with some environmental challenges associated with load handling, including high stacks, ramps, loading docks, and trailers.
- 15 minutes
- Format: Online Interactive
- English , Spanish
- Load Handling Challenges
- Evaluating a Load
- Handling a Load
- Dealing with Environmental Challenges
- Code of Federal Regulations, 29 CFR 1910
- Powered Industrial Trucks eTool, Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Knowing Your Forklift's Load Capacity, Adaptalift Hyster, Logistics and Materials Handling, July 23, 2013