February is Heart Month – Are You Trained in CPR?
Each year in the month of February, the United States government recognizes national Heart Month as a time to raise awareness about heart health and cardiovascular disease. This month is a good time to reflect on how well-prepared you and your loved ones are in case of an emergency like cardiac arrest.
Recent high-profile cardiac arrest cases have brought more attention to the risk of heart disease and the importance of cardiovascular health. They also raised awareness about the need for high-quality CPR and AED training so you can be prepared if you witness someone in need.
Heart Health Facts
Heart disease is a leading cause of death in the United States. There are more than 356,000 out-of-hospital cardiac arrests (OHCA) annually in the U.S., and nearly 90% of those cases are fatal.
Each year, the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation offers a summary of the annual American Heart Association report, most recently titled Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics—2022 Update. Focusing on OHCA arrest, some of the latest statistics from the report show:
- The majority of OHCA’s occur at a home or residence (74%). Public settings (15%) and nursing homes (11%) were the second and third most common locations.
- Cardiac arrest was witnessed by a bystander in 37% of cases, and an EMS provider in 13% of cases. It was unwitnessed in 50% of cases.
- Bystander CPR by laypeople was initiated in 41% of the OHCAs.
These are just a few of the sobering statistics in the report. All point to the need for certification training in CPR and AED.
Commit to CPR Training in February
Training in CPR, AED, and First Aid is widely available for businesses, in your community, and even remotely from the comfort of your own home. HSI has a wide range of cardiopulmonary resuscitation, automated external defibrillator and first aid courses for you to choose from.
If you’re already passionate about life-saving emergency care training, you may want to consider becoming an instructor. HSI has CPR Instructor Development Courses nearly every weekend across the nation.
To start an emergency care program in your workplace or expand your existing one, reach out to HSI for:
- Easy administration and reporting
- Award-winning programs
- Programs that focus on workplace settings and real-life scenarios
- Full certification with digital certification options
- In-person, live remote classes, and blended learning
- Everything you need to ensure a safe environment and comprehensive and hands-on training experience
For over forty years, businesses, organizations, and individuals have trusted HSI to deliver effective and engaging CPR, AED, and First Aid training. Authorized CPR Instructors with HSI appreciate the flexibility and support we provide.
Now is a perfect time to learn more about HSI’s full certification CPR, AED, and First Aid solutions for all age groups.
If you’d like to talk with someone about HSI training courses, please reach out to us here.
Together, by taking or providing a CPR certification course, we can help improve the statistics for sudden cardiac arrest.