What to do in the event of Downed Power Lines (Video)
Would you know what to do in a downed power line or utility wire situation?
The experts at Puget Sound Energy have made an excellent video to educate the public on what to do if you are in your car and encounter downed power lines. The short video reviews the following safety steps:
- Assume the line is energized and stay as far away as you can.
- Call 911 or the utility serving the location.
- Do not drive over downed power lines.
- Stay in your car.
- If you must evacuate, jump away and land with both feet together. Do not touch the vehicle while stepping on the ground, as this can create a path for electricity to run through you.
- Shuffle away to safety. Keep your feet together and take small, shuffling steps until you're at least 35 feet away. Taking larger steps can also create a path for electricity to run through you.
Watch the 5-minute video here: