Introduction to Biosafety
- List the basic principles of biosafety
- Identify appropriate laboratory containment and work practices
- Describe basic lab designs, safety equipment and personal protective devices
- Recall the basic approach for identifying hazards and risks to biological materials
- Describe biological waste regulatory requirements
- Recall the steps of basic spill cleanup and mitigation, medical treatment and reporting, and emergency response planning
- Describe the basic concept behind how work with biohazardous materials is reviewed and managed
This lesson provides an introduction to biological safety and procedures to follow to minimize the risks associated with accidental and occupational exposure.
- 20 Minutes
- What Is Biosafety?
- Biological Safety Levels and Controls
- Biological Waste and Treatment
- Emergency Procedures