- Describe formaldehyde’s physical properties.
- List products that contain formaldehyde.
- List the routes of exposure for formaldehyde, and describe the health effects of short- and long-term exposure.
- Explain why you should not rely on your senses to alert you to the presence of formaldehyde.
- Define permissible exposure limit (PEL), action level, and short term exposure limit (STEL), and explain how these are used in the monitoring process.
- List the controls that workers use to protect themselves from hazardous contact with formaldehyde.
- Describe the best work practices that help keep workers safe when handling formaldehyde.
- List first aid procedures for the various types of formaldehyde exposures.
This lesson will teach you about the potential hazards associated with formaldehyde, where formaldehyde is likely to be encountered in the workplace, and how to protect yourself if you work with or around this hazardous chemical.
- 10 minutes
- Format: Online Interactive
- English , Spanish
- Formaldehyde Safety
- 29 CFR 1910 Subpart Z – Toxic and Hazardous Substances – 1910.1048 General Requirements
- 29 CFR 1910 Subpart Z – Toxic and Hazardous Substances – 1910.1048 Substance technical guidelines for formalin