Liquid Nitrogen Safety
- Define liquid nitrogen and give examples of how it is used in a laboratory environment
- Describe some hazards associated with liquid nitrogen
- Identify the types of liquid nitrogen containers and their components
- Describe safe handling procedures for using and transporting liquid nitrogen
- Identify potential issues involving liquid nitrogen containers and recall recommended troubleshooting procedures
- Recall the actions to take in case of a spill or health emergency involving liquid nitrogen
This lesson will provide you with awareness training for the hazards associated with liquid nitrogen and provide best practices for using, moving, and storing liquid nitrogen dewars in laboratory and makerspace environments.
- 20 minutes
- Format: Online Interactive
- English , Spanish
- What Is Liquid Nitrogen?
- Liquid Nitrogen Containers
- Handling and Using Liquid Nitrogen Safely
- 29 CFR 1910 Subpart H – Hazardous Materials – 1910.101 Compressed gases (general requirements)
- 29 CFR 1910 Subpart Z – Toxic and Hazardous Substances – 1910.1200(b)(3) Hazard Communication