EWT - Substations
- Safely and compliantly enter a substation – reporting in to the employee-in-charge, and checking for any unusual conditions.
- Work safely within substations, including: maintaining adequate access; clearly marking (flagging) energized versus de-energized areas; reviewing and field-checking written switching orders; and managing breakers and breaker circuits for safe removal and insertion.
- Comply with mandated fencing/signage to block unauthorized entry to substations' rooms and spaces.
- Comply with mandated physical guards/barriers to isolate substations' energized lines and equipment.
The lesson covers compliance with: entry/reporting-in procedures; maintaining a safe work space (ensuring access, marking energized and de-energized areas, and managing breakers); using fencing/signage to restrict access; and using physical guards or barriers to isolate lines and equipment.
- 20 minutes
- Format: Online Interactive
- Entry Requirements
- Working Safely
- Preventing Unauthorized Access
- Guarding Lines and Equipment
- 29 CFR 1910.269 Electric Power Generation, Transmission, and Distribution
- 29 CFR 1910.269 Subpart R: Special Industries - Section (u)
- 29 CFR 1910.333 through .335 Occupational Safety and Health Standards
- 29 CFR 1910.333 Subpart S, Electrical - Selection and use of work practices
- 29 CFR 1910.334 Subpart S, Electrical - Use of equipment
- 29 CFR 1910.335 Subpart S, Electrical - Safeguards for personnel protection