HSI October Newsletter
Your monthly digest of EHS, Compliance, and Professional Development resources & news for you and your business, with something for everyone.
EHS + LMS Platforms: A Match Made in Safety
Wednesday, November 8, 2023
11 a.m. PT | 1 p.m. CT | 2 p.m. ET
Interested in discovering how our interconnected platform provides valuable insights and promotes engagement? In this webinar, our experts demonstrate the seamless allocation of proactive and corrective training, whether stemming from incidents, near misses, observations, or other sources. By merging EHS + LMS platforms, our system achieves time efficiency, a substantial return on investment, and an enhanced safety culture.
Register to save your seat for this webinar!
EEOC Proposed Updated Workplace Harassment Guidance
The public comment period is open until November 1st regarding updates to the EEOC manual on workplace harassment. The updated proposed guidance reflects notable changes in law, including the Supreme Court’s decision in Bostock v. Clayton County, the #MeToo movement, and emerging issues, such as virtual or online harassment. It also includes numerous examples to reflect the wide range of scenarios.
HSI at Industry Events!
If you are attending industry events, be sure to visit HSI in the expo. We would love to meet you in person!
- Lead your organization to business resilience and register for the Verdantix EHS Summit in San Diego, CA, on October 17th – 18th. HSI customer and Director of EHS for Harmon, Inc Jon Liesmaki is presenting with our own Jill James, HSI Chief Safety Officer. Jon’s story of what he’s accomplished at Harmon is incredible, attend their session if you can.
- NSC Safety Congress and Expo, October 23rd – 25th: join us at booth #4339 in New Orleans, LA. Not only is Jill James participating in a panel on women in safety, but we’ll be recording the podcast in the booth. Check out the most recent episode recorded at ASSP this summer. Join us, share your story and help us celebrate the EHS professional!
- Stop by booth #813 at DevLearn 2023 in Las Vegas, October 25th – 27th, and see our showcase of professional skills development solutions.
- The annual California Association of Code Enforcement Officers (CACEO) Code Conference will be held in Monterey, CA from November 7th – 9th. HSI will be conducting our Active Violence Emergency Response Training (AVERT) for conference attendees.
- WECC Reliability and Security Workshop, October 31st – November 2nd. Join us in San Diego, CA, to learn more about our compliance, training, and software solutions for bulk electric system reliability.
- Stop by booth #220 at IP Utility Safety Conference & Expo, November 7th – 9th in San Diego, CA, to discuss training and software safety solutions for the utility industry.
Professional Development Content Release
This month’s content release focuses on the softer side of safety…soft skills that is! We released new content to improve situational awareness, give effective toolbox talks, and assist the transition to foreman or front-line supervisor. In addition, important courses on recently released regulations pertaining to pregnant and nursing workers.
Safety Course Release: OSHA Work-Related Injury and Illness Recordkeeping
This updated course helps you with incident recording and teaches the general criteria you will use to determine whether a work-related illness or injury is recordable and reportable for OSHA recordkeeping purposes. It will also introduce you to how to review an incident log for your worksite and create an annual incident summary for OSHA reporting purposes.
Chemical Management Platform: New Secondary Container Label
The new label takes the original GHS label and adds a QR code that, when scanned, will take a user directly to the label’s safety data sheet (SDS). This new feature allows workers fast access to needed SDS information in case of emergency.
[New Whitepaper] Bringing Human Performance Fundamentals to the Workplace
Workers need training programs to develop cognitive abilities, agility, decision-making, and precision. These training programs are designed to enhance workers’ expertise, maintain their proficiency, and advance their capabilities. These skills help enhance human performance. Adapting behavior and cultural norms to prioritize human performance cannot be underestimated when building the workforce of the future. This white paper explains human performance to help trainers conduct comprehensive evaluations, generate insightful reports, and implement strategic approaches. It focuses on how to prioritize human performance in the workplace and provides stories of organizations that successfully apply it.
[Video Interview] Think Tech Hawaii: Perspectives on Energy
Guillermo Sabatier, Director of International Services for HSI Industrial Skills welcomes Dr. David Gattie to discuss U.S. energy and electric power policy as part of national security. The discussion takes a hard look at how the U.S. is considering a grand experiment on two of its most critical infrastructure sectors – energy and electric power – when it’s facing some of the most challenging competition in its history.
[New eBook] The Complete Guide to Onboarding Training
Learn how to successfully onboard and avoid high turnover rates. Studies show 83% of the highest-performing organizations begin onboarding before the new hire’s first day!
Guess the Movie Quote Answer
Thanks for playing along!
Quote: "There are certain rules someone must abide by to survive a scary movie."
Answer: Scream (1996), Character: Randy played by Jamie Kennedy