Personal Protective Equipment For Electric Utilities
Fill out the form to watch this Safety Tip video.
Safety training and Personal protective equipment (PPE) go hand and hand. PPE can help mitigate dangers, and reduce the severity of occupational injuries common to workers in the utility sector. Common types of PPE for electrical workers include hard hats, rubber gloves with leather protectors, and ear plugs. You should note, however, that PPE is not at the top of the hierarchy of controls, which is as follows:
- Elimination – Physically remove the hazard
- Substitution – Replace the hazard
- Engineering controls – Isolate people from the hazard
- Administrative controls – Change the way people work - often utilizing safety training.
- Personal protective equipment– Protect the worker with PPE
This safety tip video shares an overview of what types of PPE electrical workers need to use to work safely and reduce the risk of serious injury.