This class gives students an in-depth look into the relevant ancillary aspects of distribution planning, design, and operations. Students discuss methods to improve circuit reliability performance, techniques to enhance voltage flicker/transients, and techniques used to troubleshoot stray voltages and currents. Additionally, this class covers modern digital electronic devices and other smart means to improve distribution automation.
- How the various phases of distribution systems and integrated resources are planned
- How distribution equipment is protected by transient overvoltage conditions
- How to reduce the impact that starting large motors has on power quality
- How stray voltages and currents occur and the means to correct such problems
- How service reliability and efficiency are improved through the use of new digital smart devices with modern communications system